Monday, July 23, 2007

A Whole Pile of Comics


Today I was reading my comic books before I came to school; this in itself is not an odd thing, although that which transpired is rather odd behavior for me. I decided to count them. Every trade paperback in the collection that I have in Kelowna with me, not the collections or graphic novels, just the trades.

Allow us start, here is my comic box, let's take a look inside. Pleases ignore the junk in the background.



Hmmm this is not too terribly impressive, wonder what they look like out of the box. Again please ignore the empty blizzard cup and other miscellany.


Whoa! That’s a little more on the big side! Note the pop can for comparison. (Yup, I drink diet cola, wanna fight about it?) I wonder what they would look like all spread out?


Holy smokes! They reach across the living room of my apartment with need for a second row! Granted it's a small apartment but still... It's kind of awe inspiring in a sad nerdy pasty faced way.


As I re-filed them I decide to see just how many I had, it came to 118. Not terribly many but then again this is only the trade paper backs that I brought with me, it's about 30% of my total collection when you take all of my other junk into consideration. I must have about 25 pounds of Casper and Richie Rich digests, plus a pile of collections, graphic novels and other miscellany or unfiled trades. This made me realize two things; one that it's pretty pathetic that the only reason I tidied my apartment up today was to spread comics on the floor, and two I love comics, not just as something to look at behind Mylar, but as a form of entertainment.


I also noticed that many of my comics are less than pristine. Even though I take care to read them carefully and keep them in Mylar, they still show sings of wear. I read my comics, unlike many collectors who seal them away for protection; I often take them out for a read. I believe that that is what there creators intended them for. They wanted there works to be read and enjoyed over and over again. So tonight I ask you my loving audience, all two of you, go and read a comic book! Unwrap it and read it, wear rubber gloves if you want, but please, enjoy comics the way that there creators intended them to be. Read loved and read again.

No comments: